The 1. quarter-century 1929-1954
The foundation by Mr. Adolf Schmidthammer in the beginning of 1929 – in the middle of the economic world crysis, shortly after the inflation – was more than a risk. With enormous diligence, and excellent specialized knowledge he succeeded to find first customers being a one-man workshop.
His acquired know-how in the USA about the production of copper graphite and metal graphite grades, the crystal growing of copper, without the annoyances caused by binders, under simultaneous application of pressure and heat, found great attention. Further advantages were the technology of pressing-in cables, pins, bolts, screws, hooks and threated bushings into single pressed metal brushes, depending on the brush shape.
The electrical load capacity of these copper graphite brushes with pressed-in connections was much higher in particular with low voltage machines and converters. Also the density of the material could be manipulated due to the newly developed hot pressing technology. The rich experiences with single cold pressed metal brushes with moulded pig tails have been successfully continued until today.
In the first years from 1929 till 1932, inspite of the worldwide recession, Adolf Schmidthammer succeeded to market the semiproducts of copper graphite and metal graphite grades in block-shape to so-called cutting workshops in Germany and market abroad.
The production of finished products started in Schwabach rented buildings. In 1934 a former brewery with a 35m high chimney was bought and modified to the needs of a carbon graphite factory.
The installation of 2 cassette crucible furnaces and an electric kiln made the production of the total range of carbon brushes, carbon contacts and the semiproduct of carbon blocks possible.
Year by year the number of customers increased, and the number of employees grew up to 32 people.
In 1939 we realized already that a bigger production of carbon graphite products in the years to come, and in the centre of Schwabach residencial areas would be unbearable. As a consequence a land of 10000 m² was bought in one of the city´s industrial zones. With the beginning of the second world war further steps were paralized, and in 1941 a building in the back yard was acquired and modified. The number of employees accrued to 63, and grew to 130 people at the beginning of 1945.
The postwar period resulted in a temporary closing of the factory, and in considerable problems, which lasted until 1948, the year of the German currency reform. The reorganised financial platform supported the further construction, with heavy engagement of the employees and the management.
The trademark OMEGA has been changed into MEGA, and registered. Due to new customers in Europe and Overseas, a permanent extension of the production capacity was required in during the early 50ties.
The logo MEGA obtained a globally wide reputation.